Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Oh nuts.


Look at this boy.  He's adoreable.  And kinda bad. But so cute, it gets over looked.  And kinda fiesty.  But so cute, it also gets overlooked.

He's also allergic to EVERYTHING - and this can not be overlooked.  I wish it could.  The latest is a PEANUT ALLERGY.

When he turned a year old I gave him his first taste of peanut butter.  Minutes later, I notice his cheeks are really, really red and splotchy.  I suspected that it was the peanut butter but didn't know for sure.  (At this point his skin {particularly his cheeks} had finally begun to heal from chronic exczema that lasted nearly 10 months.  He continues even now to have exczema, but no where near as bad as the first year).

Anyway, I decide to avoid the peanut butter for the time being.  Then a few months later, I think "maybe it wasn't really the peanut butter" and I attempt it again.  I gave him the tiniest piece of a PB & J sandwich and instantly his neck and cheeks get red and then hives (big ones!) start appearing rapidly from the neck up.  He is furiously itching at his face too.  I give him Benadryl (oh yeah, and I freak out) and in a few minutes it starts to subside.  (phew).

So....his doc recommends a visit to the allergist.  And it is confirmed that he has a peanut allergy.  (Luckily no other nuts, but the allergist says it's likely he can become allergic to all nuts.  Awesome.)  I'm also instructed to carry an Epi-pen and Benadryl at all times.  He described it as a glass of water being filled each time he has a reaction - meaning each one gets worse.  He said that 80% of kids do not out grow this and have it forever.  (Which means 20% do, and I'm really holding out for that!)

Either way, this whole thing freaks me out a little.  Right now, it's not really a big deal because he's always in my care and I'm always the one preparing his food.  But come school/preschool age, what am I gonna do????  I'd like to tattoo on his head "I HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY!!!!" but I think I might get in trouble for that.  Of course there's always a permanent marker....haha.

I'm also sad that he'll never enjoy a PB & J sandwich.  What kind of a childhood is that?  And do you know how hard it is to make a PB & J sandwich and not use the same knife for the jelly jar.  Try it.  It's not easy to remember.  He now has his own jelly jar in the fridge so I can be certain no peanut butter has accidentally gotten into it.  It's the only peanut product I have in the house - how do I get rid of it when Caiden and Paige (and my husband) (and me) eat it all the time???

Ohhhhhhhh, it so stresses me.  My poor Preston.


3 comments:

The Colson's said...

OH GREAT! Now kids in his class won't be able to EVER bring PB & J sandwiches to school either...SO SAD!!! And his teachers are going to have to send home special letters for birthday treats and class food parties!! It's like having one kid in class that doesn't celebrate Christmas, so now no one can!! Have I made you feel worse?!? Personally...in my years of teaching, I haven't had to deal with a peanut allergy, but one of my friends had a kid last year with one...just don't be the freak out mom at school! This mother was OFF THE CHARTS CRAZY! Parents are really good at making sure that they accommodate all kiddos! Just make sure Preston knows what he can and cannot eat!!! He is going to be just fine...because he's SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Poor Preston, but maybe he can eat Nutella sandwiches instead. Nutella is nutritionally about the same as peanut butter, plus it has the cocoa.

The Gang said...

You can try sesame butter. It's a seed so you don't have to worry about him and the other nuts thing. Doesn't quite taste the same but he'll never know the difference right? And both my girls have had kids in their class/grade with peanut allergies. And just last week Jase was crying on the way to school (while eating breakfast because it was THAT kind of morning!) and I asked her what was wrong and she said "so and so is allergic to peanuts and I'm eating peanut butter" I told her to finish it in the car, go straight to bathroom and wash her hands and it would be fine. She felt better. Our school is a peanut tolerant school (others are peanut free) which means you can bring it for lunch but have to sit in certain areas but no pb in the classroom for treats or snacks. At least he's your 3rd kid otherwise you'd really be freaking! :)