Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thanksgiving - and a move....

Unfortuately, I have no pictures of this year's Thanksgiving...but I have good reason.  We moved on Thanksgiving Day.

Let me back up....

For almost 2 years we had been trying to sell our home and things were...slow-going to say the least.  We had many viewings but never any offers.  In those 2 years we looked at several different homes that we would have been interested in, if only we could get an offer on our home.  But most of those homes seem to come and go and we still sat trying to sell ours.  Luckily, we weren't being forced to sell or anything; it was just something we wanted to do at this time in our life with our family growing, so there was no stress involved....just frustration.  Anyway, as I started to get further along in my pregnancy we were debating about giving up for the time being.  I was ready to call our realtor and cancel our listing, and that very day she called to say someone wanted to look at the house.  Ok, fine.  One more time I figured and then we're done.  Well, to our utter and complete surprise the people wanted it.  And not only that, but they had cash.  Cash!  AND they wanted to buy it as a rental investment, so they tell us we can rent for as long as we need until we find a house.  Um.....SOLD!  So we did some looking around at what houses were available and there were a couple we were interested in, but some for reason or other, it just didn't pan out and didn't feel right.  So we figured we'd just rent till the baby was born and then look more aggressively.  Then I spot another house, that hadn't been on the market for long.  Long story short, we looked at it and loved it.  Only problem - it was a little out of our price range.   But we offered them what we could....and they took it!  And wa-la....we were moving!  Finally!  We were utterly amazed and so incredibly thankful.  Things couldn't have fallen into place more perfectly.  It was a lesson to me that things just don't work when you try to force it.  It happens when it is right. 

Anyway, we moved the week of Thanksgiving, thanks to friends and family helping out.  It also happened to be record-breaking cold temperatures (the highs barely over 10 degrees) and tons of snow.  Come to think of it, when we moved almost 6 years ago into our first house it was also record-breaking cold temperatures.  Oops.  Maybe we brought that on.

So now....we are in and we are unpacked and we are so happy and relieved.  Mostly me, as I desperately wanted this to all be over with before the holidays and the baby coming.  The kids love it too.  It's a cute modest home that a little old grandma lived in.  Her favorite colors were teal and peach, also known as ugly and uglier.  Needless to say, there is some major de-grandmafication that will be going on once the baby is born :)  But as I said, she was a grandma and never did any children live here....so the home was in immaculate condition.  I couldn't have been more thankful for that.  I haven't taken any pictures yet of the home.  But it's on my to-do list.  Maybe I'll get some good before and after's once the baby is born :)

No comments: