Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Buttercup

We have a new kitty.  I had a moment of weakness, and took in a kitten that a friend of mine found.  It is (was) tiny.  Couldn't even eat on it's own, I had to feed it with an eye dropper.  This got old real quick.  I started regretting taking in this kitty that was beginning to feel like a baby....hand feedings...cleaning up its poo.  I even started to think something I rarely EVER think....."I should have listened to my husband".

But we kept it.  I didn't really have a choice unless I was willing to emotionally scar my children.  They instantly gave it about 6 different names, (I think we've settled on Buttercup?) and Paige was drawing it pictures...daily.  "Look mom, this one says I LOVE YOU!"  Oh dear.  I think we have a cat.  Permanently.

Then, I start to notice that there's something odd about the way it follows you.  Like it can't see you, only hear or smell you.  We take it to vet for shots.  I ask the vet about it.  "The eyes look okay" (proceeds to throw something past it....and nothing.)  More examining.  "Well, it appears to be able to differentiate between light and darkness, but doesn't appear to see objects very well."  Awesome.

So...obviously it doesn't venture past the patio.  Which means it poops all.over.my.patio.  All over.  All freaking over.  I'm not having very loving thoughts towards this kitty.  I'm trying.  It's not going well.  I start to try to convince the kids that it would be better for the kitty to go to someone who can let it live indoors.  Caiden cries.  Cries.  So, again.  I think we have a cat.  A blind cat.  Permanently.

Then.......while I was serving on that jury a couple weeks ago, I was carpooling with a fellow juror, Ruby, who had no car.  She was an interesting lady, super nice, but interesting.  We get talking about our pets one day and I mention our blind kitty that poops on my patio.  She tells me she's gonna pray for it.  And I'm not kidding...the kitty miraculously got it's eyesight.  AND it discovered the nearby landscaping and poops in the dirt!!!!!!  (Thanks Ruby!)

So, we have a kitty.  A kitty that can SEE and POOP in the DIRT.  Permanently.  :)


2 comments:

The Colson's said...

Maybe Buttercup was just going through that pesky toddler phase...ya know the one where our kids can't see anything and they poo everywhere!! It happens, right?? I would cry too if you tried to give it away!!!

Unknown said...

Oh poor kitty! I grew up in a house that took in SEVERAL pets because of my mother's inability to turn them away. We had the best time with all of them and I'm sure your kids will, too! I'm very glad Buttercup learned how to poop in the dirt.