Saturday, November 7, 2009

Special Day....and a few randoms

What?! No kindergarten for a week??? Yes, it is true. It is time for parent/teacher conferences and lucky Caiden gets a whole week off of school. Three of the days are scheduled for the conferences and the other 2 happen to fall at the same time (one a teacher recordkeeping day and one for Veteran's day, which also happens to be Caiden's birthday. Lucky kid!) Anyway, Paige still has preschool as normal and so I realized last Thursday morning that Caiden and I would be alone with no Paige - quite a rarity. So I decided to make it our "special day". I told him the day before that I would take him to McDonalds for breakfast and he was sooo excited. However, I had to convince him not to tell Paige because I knew that could be a potential disaster if she knew Caiden wasn't going to school AND going to McDonalds. So the next morning he really, and I mean really, played it up. The next morning went something like this: "Paige, I'm going to get dressed now because I have to go to school....Paige, I'm gonna put my shoes on now because I don't want to be late for school....Paige, I'm gonna get my backpack now because I have to go to school" and after each statement he'd sneak me a sly look as if he was the ultimate trickster. It was too funny. So me and my boy had a "special day"/morning together....Then I had to drop him off at a friends so I could make it to the parent/teacher conference. Casey and I were informed that he is doing very well and we got to look at his report card. I had to laugh when I saw that he got all "Outstandings" when it came to things like respecting others and completing work on time, but only "Satisfactory" for "Demonstrates Self-Control" and "Pays Attention". Hahaha! That is so Caiden! He is a such a funny, smart kid, but quite the busy-body AND a chattermouth. But gotta love it! I am so impressed with his teacher this year. I volunteer in his class twice a month and from what I've observed she is awesome! She is ALWAYS praising the children for how smart they are and I am in complete AWE at the way she can capture their attention. The first time I visited the classroom I walked in and she was reading them a story and they were completely silent AND still the ENTIRE time! She is very soft-spoken and they obey her every word. It is amazing. I almost used the word "reverent" to describe the kids once, and then quickly realized how weird that would have been and used "quiet" instead, but seriously that is what it is like. I need to take notes for primary! We definitely haven't mastered that skill yet!
Moving on, this is my sister and I from last weekend. When we weren't carving pumpkins, trick-or-treating and having batman battles, we were scrapbooking and watching Heroes. I so love our annual scrapbook trips and am thinking we need to make it a BI-annual trip from now on...


I totally forgot I took this picture. This was from a couple of weeks ago during "Spirit Week" at school. One day was Rock Star day and Caiden soooo wanted a faux-hawk. COOL DUDE!!! Next Wednesday we celebrate his 6th birthday. My, how time flies!

2 comments:

Traci said...

Caiden is adorable! He is such a cute boy. We love having him here. He always has a smile and is so so happy~ Thanks for sharing such a cutie with the rest of us. As for the birthday...YIPEEEE for Caiden~ Happy Birthday friend!

The Gang said...

Made me smile how he was playing up the going to school thing. Funny kid. I'm glad you guys got to spend some time alone, hard with the oldest but much needed sometimes I think. Happy Birthday Caiden. And congrats Kelley-you will have a 6 yr. old. Makes me feel old. You?