Thursday, November 5, 2009

Batman, princesses, and pumpkins

This year for Halloween, instead of carving every pumpkin we (and by "we" I mean "I") decided it would be fun to paint some of the pumpkins. Don't get me wrong, I love to carve pumpkins, just not all 4 all by myself. It seems each year that everyone loses interest and I'm the one left to finish the partially-gutted pumpkins. My kids are disgusted by the insides instead of fascinated and my husband....well, let's just say he doesn't LOVE carving pumpkins either. SO, I handed Caiden and Paige a paint brush and some paint and they had a blast. I think it might be one of my best ideas yet.
Paige was insistent that her pumpkin be pink, purple, and white with NO writing or drawings on it.....just 3 separate sections of pink, purple, and white. Whatever makes her happy....

Caiden went for a Batman-themed pumpkin (because Batman is the current obsession right now) and painted Scarecrow's face on it. After he completed it he smiled and said, "Now I am an artist." So funny.


Another plus this year was that my sister got to come visit for the weekend! My kids were soooo excited to go trick-or-treating with her. And we even saved her a pumpkin to carve (along with mine) when she got here. (Casey was more than happy to give up his pumpkin to Caiden to paint. ) At Caiden's request I carved a bat into mine, and I think I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.


I think the days are gone that Caiden just smiles for a picture. It is all about funny faces and peace signs and rock on signs....but I love it.

My cute little princess and tough-guy Batman....

Caiden told my sister he wanted her to be Batgirl. And what did she do? She went right out to Walmart and bought a batgirl costume. My kids love Aunt Kimmy!!

And since Aunt Kimmy dressed up, I was required to also. And just to clarify, I'm not the devil (despite the devil's costume). I am Harley Quinn from Batman who also happens to be black and red. Caiden was insistent that I be a bad guy so he and batgirl could fight me (and believe me, we had many battles while Aunt Kimmy was here) and my sister happened to have a devi'ls cape lying around. Anyway, Caiden and Paige had a blast trick-or-treating. I am always amazed each year at how fast their little legs go from house to house. They also had as much fun answering the door and handing out candy. All in all, it was a very Happy Halloween indeed.

3 comments:

Traci said...

too cute! I love the painted pumpkins. They definately were a hit! Great job Kelley! I love the clarification on the "devil" costume. I will certainly let Eliza know! Naked painters are a classic memory for us all. Good memories, I am so glad that you had such a great time with your sis.

Adam C said...

I wish I could've been a fly on the wall while y'all were having batman battles!!! Am I completely selfish that I don't want my boy to dress up like superheroes?? There are sooo many cute animal costumes!! I'm glad you had such a fun time! Your kiddos are getting so BIG!!!! Totally CUTE!!!!!
Love ya, J

michele said...

so fun!!! You and your sis are so cute!